Sunday, July 3, 2011

Travel Days

Today may be one of our longest travel days of  9hrs and 2  different trains  from Munich, Germany to Brussels, Belgium. Although I hate the thought of spending the day on the train when I could be out exploring and seeing the sites, I do enjoy travel days. Not only do I get to kick back my feet and rest as I take in the views from the train car window, but excitement runs through me as I head to another new destination or country. The best feeling is when I am on a regional train that has windows that can be opened. I always push the window down and stick my head out the car train with the biggest grin on my face. The feeling is completely indescribable. I’ve never felt so free!!! Some of the best views were on the trains coming from Lake Como in Italy and heading to Switzerland. The views of the mountains and lakes is breathtaking, all while the sun is shining and the wind blowing in my face…ahh after a month of being gone, I still have to pinch myself reminding me that I am in EUROPE!

The last few days were spent in Munich, Germany.( Munchen= city of monks) It was a nice change from the previous small, quiet town Fussen. As usual, we arrived at our hostel, dropped our bags, and then hit the town immediately. Unfortunately, the weather was wet, cold, and rainy the entire time we were there. As we were roaming around the town it started down pouring, along with thunder. Of course, no umbrellas. A little rain never hurt anyone, right?  I saw the Marienplatz, which is named after the column of the Virgin Mary. The square is famous for its neo-Gothic town hall. It is here where the Glockenspiel plays. Once we had walked around for a few hours, we decided it was time to head to the famous Hofbrauhaus to get out of the rain and have ONE beer before dinner. Well one beer turned into 2 liters of beer! Let’s just say I was on a liquid diet that night and drank my dinner! Ha. The experience though was amazing as the building was jam-packed with people drinking steins of beers, some singing along to the songs that played by the band! It is actually here at the HB on the second floor where Hitler held some of his first speeches. The building is about 100 years old. Very cool!

The next day Ian and I went our separate ways, seeing as we wanted to spend the afternoon exploring different things. It is really unfortunate being in places for only 2 nights, making you be choosey on what you see since you are so limited on time. However, I really wanted to go to one of the concentration camps while in Germany. So as Ian did a walking tour of Munich, I spent the entire morning and afternoon at the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site. The camp was set into operation two months after the Nazis seized power in 1933. The camp served as a labor camp. However, nearly 43,000 people died there, mainly from starvation and diseases. The camp was created to hold only 3,000 people there, but when it was liberated by the US over 30,000 people were there. That is just one camp! I can’t even begin to go into depth and explain the 5 hour tour in a few sentences in this blog, but let’s just say it was very educational, yet very sad.

On a happier note, I will be spending the next 4 days in Belgium. First two nights in Brussels and the next two in Brugges. I am excited to see what this country has in store!! Keep reading….only a few more blog posts until I am back in the USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment