Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Brussels, Belgium

The journey from Munich to Brussels was a long one. Took over 9 hours. Started at the train station in Munich around 1pm and didn't arrive and check into our hostel in Brussels until 10:15pm. The minute I stepped out of the train station in Brussels, I had a bad vibe about the city. It was ghetto and the area just looked sketchy. I didn't feel safe. Especially when I am exhausted walking around 10 pm with a heavy backpack trying to navigate our way to the hostel. However, I tried to remind myself to not judge a book by its cover and rather give the city a chance. The day was completely shot once we checked in.

The next morning was spent roaming around the city. The morning started off by going to a local flea market. A bunch of crap! But then again, one man's junk is another one's treasure. There was furniture, clothes, random paintings, jewelry, lamps, etc..you name it. Although it was a lot of junk, I think there was still some cool antique looking pieces that you could make very "pottery barn- ish looking". Maybe a cute lamp on a bed nightstand? I got my mother's eye for small detail...or least I like to think I do. Anyway, after the flea market the day was spent exploring. The city is actually quite dirty, another reason it wasn't one of my favorites. However, I did see the stock exchange building and the famous manneken pis statue (google it). It's very small! As well as tried the famous french fries with some garlic sauce on it! YUM!

The afternoon and evening was another whole adventure in itself. Around 4pm, we headed back to the hostel hoping to book another night with them. At this point, we didn't have a place to sleep for the night. Unfortunately, there was some big festival going on near Brussels causing every room to be booked! Somehow, someway Ian sweet talked the man and voila we have a room for the night at another hostel in town! Once again, we pack up our bags and trek over to the other hostel. Once there we meet some people from the hostel and decide to grab a beer at a local bar. Little did I know what the night had in store for me. The five of us are sitting here at this table at this bar talking. As the new "hostel roommates" start talking about something I can't relate too, I find myself in a conversation with a family at the next table. It was this American  family who has been living in Germany for the past 3 years due to their job. The mom and dad with their two little kids and then another gentlemen who works with them. Immediately, I hit it off with the family! Come to find out we have quite a few similarities. The mom is even Chilean! The men immediately start ragging on me and call me "mexican" like they call her. Ah, I had felt at home instantly. My dad always gives my mom a hard time about being Chilean. He calls that side of the family the "mutt side". The parents got a kick out of this one. Thirty minutes or so goes by, and before you know it they bought me a drink and are inviting me out to dinner. Although I trust no one and am always watching my surroundings, it was an invite I couldn't turn down.

It was quite a sight to see. Here I am walking with this family who I feel like I've known for years to dinner, and their two kids are holding my hands . The parents were shocked at how easily the kids were gravitating toward me, when this is something they don't usually do. ( They even told me if I didn’t have a job in a month to come back to Germany and be their nanny! A compliment if I must say so myself, for having just met this family!) Dinner was amazing! The parents insisted on me ordering whatever I wanted since they knew what it was like to be a broke college student. Apprehensive about accepting their offer, the mom and dad tell me to order a steak! Calamari, wine, and a steak dinner later...I couldn't complain! After dinner the dad takes the kids back to the hotel and the mom and I go out for a drink. Here I am in bar with a woman I have just met having a heart to heart talk. It was a fresh of breathe air as I opened up to this lady. We talked about all sorts of things- marriage, life, kids, my grandma, my boyfriend, my morals and values, things you want out of life...you name it! I have learned to realize that sometimes I connect so much better with people older than me.

Well after a drink and our heart to heart talk, we hit a local waffle stand and chow down on it in this main plaza as we gaze up at the church! What next? DANCING! We find a local bar and start dancing the night away. Now might I add I am wearing yoga pants and backpack- total tourist looking! Ha! If you had asked an onlooker, one might have said we looked like best friends. GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!! The night ended with us meeting up with Ian and other people from the hostel.

All in all, it was a night I will never forget. As well, as a family I will never forget. I plan to stay in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment