Sunday, June 26, 2011

Switzerland

As I sit here and drink my cappuccino as well as munch down on some good ole' Toblerone Swiss chocolate, I will try to recap the past few days in Switzerland.

After our few nights in Venice, Ian and I made our way to Lake Como for the evening. A few train rides later, I look up and see the beautiful lake from the train car. I immediately stick my head out the train window like a dog and start snapping photos of the lake. Unfortunately, the weather was overcast and sprinkling, but it was still beautiful! Once in Veranna ( the train stop in Lake Como), we hop on a quick ferry across the lake to our hostel. Although the hostel was a dump like the others, it was a perfect location right on the lake with a beautiful view! With some time to kill before we could check in, Ian and I explored the town (Menaggio)...which took an entire 10 minutes or so. Therefore, found some cheap beers as usual and posted it on a bench and took in the view! The next morning was sunny without a cloud in sight. Of course the day of departure is always the best weather.

The traveling day from Lake Como to Interlaken, Switzerland was about 8 hrs after 3 or 4 train rides, another long day. Switzerland is amazing, definitely a change from Italy. New people, new language, new architecture, new sights, etc.Ian and I found ourselves talking Italian to the people in the stores on accident, forgetting we were in a different country. People in Switzerland speak "Swiss-German", however, I found out that depending where you are in the country the dialect of German can change dramatically! Although the country is absolutely beautiful, the rumors about it being expensive are so true! After arriving, I exchanged some USD for some CHF. I knew I would hurt from the exchange rate, however, I didn't know that things in general would cost so much. For example, an average run of the mill dinner plate at home costs about $10-15. Here in Switzerland its 25 CHF on the cheap end...thats like 30USD for just a burger and fries. Immediately, Ian and I knew we would have to find a way to make our money stretch a little bit longer in Switzerland. Its unfortunate things are so expensive, takes away from trying some of the food and experiencing the culture. But we have still explored and made the most of it, deciding where we would should invest our money in!

Yesterday was spent taking a ferry to a nearby lake, Lake Thunersee. From there we hopped on and off the ferry in different locations(Beatushohlen & Spiez) walking around and exploring. Took a beautiful walk around parts of the lake, then hopped on the train to explore Thun. The evening ended with making dinner with new friends from the hostel. (Before dinner we went to the store to get some wine and things for dinner, where I ended up getting yelled at in German by the cashier. Ian had told me to place the loaf of bread that was fully wrapped in this microwave/oven looking thing to warm it up. Without thinking twice, I put the bread in hoping to warm it up. A few seconds later the cashier is yelling at me in front of all the people in line. I immediately raise my hands and say "Sorry, sorry, sorry". Of course with my face turning bright red...Thanks Ian. ha! ) I swear German has to be the hardest language to learn. It honestly looks like they just take a bunch of letters and scramble them together. And when they talk, it sounds like they have a hairball in their mouth...haha. Interesting to say the least!

Anyway, I would have to say today's adventures will by far be the highlight of our stay in Switzerland. Ian and I both agreed that you can't go to  Switzerland without going up to the Swiss Alps. Deciding it would be worth the many CHF we buy our tickets this morning to go to Jungfrau. Jungfrau is one of the main summits in the Bernese Alps. It is known as the "Top of Europe" because it is the highest point in all of Europe reaching 11,333 ft(3454 m) above sea level! After bundling up whatever layers we could find ( definitely not prepared for snow- wishing I didn't leave my jacket behind in Florence) and a 2 1/2 hr train ride up, we arrive in Jungfrau. At the top it was 3 degrees Celsius= 37 degrees Fahrenheit and not a cloud in sight! The most perfect day to go up there! Snapping millions of pictures like the other tourists around, we explore the Spinx, Ice Plateau, and Ice caves! The views were absolutely remarkable. I am proud to say I have not only been to Switzerland, but been to the highest point in Europe! SO COOL! ( Ill post pictures and video clips on my facebook soon...)

Well, my Toblerone chocolate bar is gone, without a crumb in sight. Time to wrap up this blog..last night in Interlaken then off to Luzern tomorrow. Only 2 more days in Switzerland, then off to another country..GERMANY :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl I have been reading your blog. Ya make me laugh and long for adventure. Keep blogging and keep me wishing I never grew up to live in this rat race we call life.

    ReplyDelete