Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Laundry Mat

After a week of dirty laundry compiled, it was time to wash our clothes in Venice. What I thought would be an ordinary trip to a laundry mat, turned into a much deeper meaningful day. First lets set the stage. Ian and I lugged our clothes in a plastic bag and backpack to a local Venetian laundry mat. After arriving there and realizing it cost 6Euros just for one wash, I counted my Euros and planned out how much I could make my money stretch for the wash and as well as my next meal. You know you’re broke when you throw in your white and darks in one wash, not caring what they will look like after. Once our laundry started, we had thirty minutes to kill and decided a nice cold beer would help pass the time. A few blocks away we find a nice sweet, older Italian man who works at a “Tabbachi” ( kind of like a 7/11). Only 1.70 Euro for a Danish tall boy, we grab two! ( Granted I contemplated over drinking a beer or drying my clothes; definitely had to go for the beer! Haha) The minute we walked away I had told Ian there was something about the man that seemed so kind and sweet. Little did we know…

We went back to the laundry mat to throw our clothes in the dryer . Another 30 minutes to kill. What to do? Since Ian felt a little parched and wanted another beer, we decided to head back to the sweet Italian man to get another. What we thought would be a 2 minute conversation turned into 30. The man, Umberto, has worked in the store for 45 years. He discussed to us the importance of traveling and seeing things. He has been all over Europe in a car, for he said the “trains” and “airplanes” take to “too long”.(In my eyes, he seemed a little scared of flying…it’s a pity because he could see so much more if he hopped on a plane) And in each new place, he had met wonderful people who have become friends and have helped him later. I was in awe of his stories along with his wisdom and insight he gave us. He told the both of us that one day we are going to be famous. However, he said being famous to him is someone who has a job that can provide for themselves and their family, but most importantly its about being happy! It made me think about my own future and where I will be within the next five years, let alone the next year. Maybe I should take the time now and go volunteer or help children in another country? I don’t know, just a thought. It makes me anxious and excited to think about the future. I am trying real hard to enjoy myself now and not think about it until I get home. Today’s troubles of navigating through Venice are enough!

Tomorrow I head to Lake Como for the night!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment